Monday, October 29, 2007

What happens in confession stays in the confessional

A wise man once said, "There's no lesson to be learned if there's no one left to learn it."

I guess I could classify myself as a moderate. I hate being a moderate. It's like I should shit or get off the pot. I'm liberal on war and drugs, but I'm conservative on gun control and other hot button topics. I like to think I'm no ones bitch (although I'm probably lying to myself) and that I control and govern myself without "help" from the United States of America. I guess this is why I became so enamoured with punk. It's like there was a bunch of people like me saying what I thought before I'd even thought it. It's just a big "fuck you" to everyone and everything, and I like that. Most people and things need and deserve a big "fuck you."

Movies deliver a less blunt and rude "fuck you" in most senses. Movies tell stories, and you can draw from them however you like. I know pable talked about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas before, but this is a perfect example for me. This movie is all about making your own choices and living by your own standards and rules to me. They lived in their own dimension, which is what drugs do for them. They lived outside mainstream society, but within it, and that is my goal.

I'm my own goddamned person and no one can take that away from me.

6 comments:

Iktomi said...

punk is like a lot of movements- it started out political and ended up trendy. wtf??? give me the good ol' anarchists who throw dangerous things in busy traffic.

Iktomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iktomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iktomi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
phillip low said...

Oh, please. As though modern anarchism didn't dwindle away into a fashion statement decades ago.

Iktomi said...

yeah, i was talking about the old school anarchists though. the new ones are pussies. :P