Sunday, September 9, 2007

Sunshine

First things first(to anyone reading this, aka no one), I'm Alex. Hi. I'm kind of new to this whole "blogging" or "web logging" or "typing things into a computer screen that others can read and have independent thoughts about" thing. I'm a music major at a community college in Rochester Minnesota. My turn ons are girls with large boobs and small brains. My turn offs are... few and far between.

Alright, so I guess I should talk about a movie. Recently, I took in Danny Boyles(Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) latest talking picture, Sunshine. It's some semi futuristic sci-fi movie about scientists trying to re-ignite the dying sun using a bomb that sounds like it came from Plan Nine from Outer Space. This movie made the plot somewhat believable, which was a feat in it of itself. Flawless execution is the name of the game here. I, myself, get sick of the predictability we have come to love, cherish, and respect from science fiction. Sunshine really breaks the mold. There are constantly twists and turns, and not this M. Night Shalamanananan(anan?) crap where you are picking the so called "unpredictable twists" out in the first five fucking minutes. A lot of thought and consideration went into the script to keep the viewer in the dark about the ending.

The visuals and analogies from this movie blew me away like a drunken prom date. Someone was watching a National Geographic Channel special on outer space and thought, "Oh wow, space is pretty cool." Because they captured the intriguing and unknown better than most movies dealing with space do. And all the analogies and ideas about self sacrifice for the better of mankind are enough to make you re-evaluate your entire existence.

Okay, so I suppose I should use the tired old system of blank out of blank stars or stripes or wombats or whatever to rate these things, so I guess I'd better start now. I hate doing that just because when a movie is really great, and you want to give it a perfect score, there is always the voice in the back of your mind that says, "but what if something better is made and you have to tare your movie scale." And especially since this is the first movie I've reviewed here, its hard to give it a perfect score. Fuck it, it was fucking awesome and you're an awful person if you don't see it. I'm giving Sunshine a whopping 5 dingle berries out of 5.

2 comments:

phillip low said...

Man, that's how out of the loop I am -- I hadn't even heard of this one. These are the same guys who did "28 Days Later", right? 'Cuz taking an absurd premise and making it appear plausible seems to be kind of their thing.

AHaynes said...

Yeah. Boyle is definitely the big... anti-genre guy. But he does it in a way that doesn't make me hate him. It's pretty amazing. And I'm pretty sure you don't even have to be blazed to enjoy it.